How can I get up so early in the mornings to exercise? I must admit, there have been more mornings than not, in my life, that I've pushed the snooze button on my alarm and rolled back over, so why is now different? Many reasons:
- This isn't about weight loss anymore
- I really REALLY want this
- It's the only time in the day I have available where I can leave the house without a child in tow
- Did I mention I really really REALLY want this.
I'm so passionate about being a runner now, that that goal alone motivates me. Exercise used to be about losing weight, but now I know it doesn't take exercise to lose weight (I'll post on this later this week). I now exercise because I want to. I want to be healthier. I want my heart to be strong. I want my whole body to be strong.
Almost my entire adult life I've made new years resolutions to lose weight and get fit... all that ever did was waste pen ink. Sure I tried a few time to follow a diet (I've tried most of them) and they worked for a while, until I went back to old habits or the diet was too restrictive and I just binged when I couldn't take it anymore. I also exercised on and off over the years, but I was always forcing myself to go for a walk or get to the gym. I never stuck at it consistently. I did discover how much I loved lifting weights though.
At the start of 2012 I dedicated the entire year to getting my life sorted out. Just one year. Only one little year that I avoided all those bad foods. That I finally got myself sorted and lost the weight I'd been carrying for far too long. Well I don't know what the difference was, but I feel like I've finally got my head in the game. I want this. I REALLY WANT THIS. It's not about looking skinny for others. This is for me. I can be dedicated. I can change my life. I can be the best ME that I can be.
Some days I'm scared that I'll slip back into my old habits but right now I'm pretty determined to not let that happen. I feel so much happier in my body now. I feel in control of things. And I really really want to be a runner. And I really really don't want to give my kids a weight complex like I've had all my life.
I have a few extra goals for this year:
- Finish C25k (9 weeks)
- Get to Dukan True Weight (hopefully in the next 2 months)
- Complete consolidation (about 5-6 months after I start)
- Run a quarter marathon in Oct/Nov (I've run/walked a half marathon before but I think I need to take this slow. A 10k in 5 months time is ambitious enough right now.)
- Start weight lifting when Surgeon gives okay and shape body a bit
I'm excited about these goals. What is your next goal? Do you have to force yourself to exercise or do you enjoy it?